Bobbi and Benji
Benji (male, on the left) and Bobbi (female) are regular visitors to Castle. When not with us they live with Mrs Marriott, our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). The dogs join us on most school days in order to spend time with the children and enhance their education.
More and more schools are reaping the benefits of having a school dog. Some of these include:
- calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties
- Support for children who are afraid of dogs
- improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- motivating pupils to think and to learn, as children have a high level of natural interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils' relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
- helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children, and educational improvements with low achievers
- helping children build confidence in reading
Benji and Bobbi are brother and sister, are 4 years old and they have lived with a family with young children since they were puppies. They are hypoallergenic so people with allergies to dogs are very unlikely to be allergic to them. They are wonderful with children and love being cuddled!
All children with parental permission are given opportunities to visit them in Mrs Marriott’s office, read to them and take them for short walks, along with other activities. We have a risk assessment in place and we take great care around any members of the school community who have phobias of dogs (they may even help to cure them!).
We love having the dogs in school but, unfortunately, Bobbi and Benji's presence does not change our general policy about dogs in school so please continue to ensure no other dogs are brought into the school grounds.
We would like to obtain permission from every parent in order to allow their child to learn with Bobbi and Benji. If your child doesn't currently have your permission, please pop into the Office to sign the slip, which includes information about any allergy or nervousness around dogs..